NriInformation Questions &Answers 
Read Disclaimer at bottom of page

441.   Selling property in Mumbai on Sri Lankan Power of Attorney

Questions: Good Day!Sir,

Dear sir, My Uncle is a Srilankan citizen and he has OCI he is ownig a flat in Vasai

which he wants to sell it but the house is registered on my Aunty's  name and she

is in srilanka and

she is not in condition to come to india but my Uncle has the power of attorney, but

the power of attorney  is made in  Srilanka,

so it possible that my uncle can sell the flat on Srilankan power of attorney to the

Indian (Mumbai) resident.

Thanks & Regards,

Nikhil Sosa.                     

Answer:  Whether your uncle will be able to sell the property based on a Sri Lankan power of attorney would of course depend on the buyer. If the price is right, people may overlook a few things. However, any genuine buyer, before paying for any type of property, will want to ensure that the property can be legally transfered to them. Buyers would want to ensure also that they are indeed buying from the genuine owner of the property. Property registrar may not accept a foreign power of attorney. The ideal way to send a power of attorney to India is to get the power of attorney document certified by the Indian Consulate in Sri Lanka.
Disclaimer: Information provided is for general knowledge only and should not be deemed to be professional advice. For professional advice kindly consult a professional accountant, immigration advisor or the Indian consulate. Rules and regulations do change from time to time. Please note that in case of any variation between what has been stated on this website and the relevant Act, Rules, Regulations, Policy Statements etc. the latter shall prevail. © Copyright 2006
next previous
Custom Search
Search Nri Information
RI Information
Informing  educating and connecting Indians across the globe . . . by Virendar Chand
Custom Search
Search Nri Information