Q626.    Retired Indian army person getting army pension in USA

Question:  My uncle us citizen. But he was in army in india. He has some leg problem. Thats why he could not go to india to get his pension. Could you please get some suggestions or idea.  Because he didn't go more then five year to india. Thanks for your kind support. Monty Answer:  If your uncle was getting a pension in India before he chose to become a US citizen, all he basically needs to do is notify the bank branch where his pension was deposited in India that he has become a non-resident. In such cases the bank is required to convert the resident bank account of the pensioner to a non-resident bank account (NRO). There must be many army officers who retired after serving in the Indian army and are now living abroad in various countries getting their army pensions deposited in their NRO accounts. Pension income can also be sent abroad from NRO accounts by the account holder subject to payment of any due taxes and following the procedure set out by the government for such transfers. In case your uncle was not getting army pension earlier and meets the criteria of drawing a pension for his army services, he should approach the Indian army offices to submit his pension claim. I am sure the local Indian consulate would help in this regard. Pensioners living abroad are required to submit a life certificate once a year in the month of November to continue receiving their pension deposits. Life certificates can be obtained from local Indian Consulates.
OCI PIO PAN Visas NRI Info Banking How To Guide Property Business Medical Immigration FAQ Cars
Disclaimer: Information provided is for general knowledge only and should not be deemed to be professional advice. For professional advice kindly consult a professional accountant, immigration advisor or the Indian consulate. Rules and regulations do change from time to time. Please note that in case of any variation between what has been stated on this website and the relevant Act, Rules, Regulations, Policy Statements etc. the latter shall prevail. © Copyright 2006 Nriinformation.com
NriInformation Questions &Answers 
Read Disclaimer at bottom of page
next previous
Custom Search
Search Nri Information
RI Information
Informing  educating and connecting Indians across the globe . . . by Virendar Chand
Custom Search
Search Nri Information